This interesting-looking Dragon fruit is recently in more demand all over the world. Along with being full of nutrients, this fruit has lots of health benefits. Based on some research Dragon fruit also seems beneficial for the thyroid in the body.
What is a thyroid?
The thyroid, or ductless gland, is a secretor invertebrate. In humans, it’s within the neck and consists of two connected lobes. The thyroid is found at the front of the neck, just below Adam’s apple. The first function of the thyroid is the production of the iodine-containing thyroid hormones, triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4), and also the peptide hormone calcitonin. The thyroid hormones have a large range of effects on the human body: METABOLIC, CARDIOVASCULAR, DEVELOPMENTAL, etc.
What happens due to Thyroid disorder?
Excessive production of thyroid hormones is termed hyperthyroidism. Causes include exophthalmic goiter, toxic multinodular goiter solitary thyroid adenoma, inflammation, and a pituitary adenoma that secretes excess TSH.
Another cause is excess iodine availability, either from excess ingestion, induced by the drug amiodarone, or following iodinated contrast imaging. An underactive endocrine leads to hypothyroidism. Typical symptoms are abnormal weight gain, tiredness, constipation, heavy menstrual bleeding, hair loss, cold intolerance, and a slow pulse rate.
Iodine deficiency is the most typical reason behind hypothyroidism worldwide, and the autoimmune disorder Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is the most common cause in the developed world.
Some fruits may help you maintain your thyroid level at its best.
What is dragon fruit and how does it help in Thyroid disorder?
Dragon fruit (or pitaya) comes from a cactus of the sort Hylocereus. Dragon fruit has tiny edible black seeds, and therefore the texture is analogous to a kiwi or watermelon. The flavor is mildly sweet and a touch of earthy. The deeper pink the flesh is, the sweeter the flavor is. It’s a fast-growing crop, and therefore the plants can produce for quite 20 years once established.
As per the U.S Dragon fruit is tend to boast several nutrients and vitamins for better health. Department of Agriculture’s MyPlate guidelines. Dragon fruit is full of vitamins B1, B2, B3, and C which are very beneficial for the thyroid.
Ingesting one cup of dragon fruit daily will have numerous benefits, like boosting your system and improving your thyroid function. The high vitamin content of dragon fruit also helps improve your skin, vital signs, and metabolism.
Some other Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit for the Thyroid:
- Thyroid disease causes cardiovascular problems and eating dragon fruit can control it.
- Dragon fruit contains no unhealthy saturated fats. This results in higher levels of HDL (“good” cholesterol) and lower levels of LDL (“bad” cholesterol) within the body. The probabilities of developing plaque within the arteries and veins are less, thereby reducing your chances of being affected by atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes.
- The high levels of antioxidants in the dragon fruit help to spice up your immunity and also the antioxidants work to extend your platelet count which might facilitate your pass through any illness faster.
- Hypothyroidism ends up in weight gain and consuming dragon fruit helps in weight loss. The high levels of antioxidants, fiber, and antioxidants in both the red and white sorts of dragon fruit are shown to cut back both insulin resistance and liver disease.
- Consuming this fruit can also help reduce weight gain and improve certain features of metabolic syndrome which may be a precursor to type II diabetes.
- Another problem associated with thyroid disorder is either diarrhea or constipation so Dragon fruit contains prime-quality fiber which will help with digestion and prebiotic properties that help promote the expansion of healthy gut bacteria. It’s an excellent fruit to eat to assist in keeping intestinal infections cornered, help facilitate healthy bowels, and stop constipation and other conditions like IBS.
Other Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit
Other health benefits we get by eating dragon fruit are Cancer-fighting properties, Dragon Fruit is stuffed with antioxidants which might help eliminate free radicals and are linked to cancer prevention. A 2017 study notes that this fruit may be useful against carcinoma. Furthermore, one more study shows that the oligosaccharides in dragon fruit could be helpful against carcinoma. Controls diabetes helps to scale back insulin resistance, and liver disease, prevent osteoporosis, reduce arthritis pain, eye problems, and lots more.
How much Dragon fruit should You consume to reap its thyroid benefits?
Incorporating one cup of Dragon fruit into your daily diet can provide the desired benefits for thyroid health. However, it’s important to maintain a balanced diet and consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations.
In conclusion, Dragon fruit offers numerous health benefits, including potential advantages for thyroid health. With its rich vitamin content, incorporating Dragon fruit into your diet can boost the immune system, improve thyroid function, promote healthier skin, regulate blood pressure, and enhance metabolism. This remarkable fruit also aids in weight loss, cardiovascular health, and digestion, and offers cancer-fighting properties. Adding Dragon fruit to your diet provides a natural and flavorful way to support overall well-being.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Yes, Dragon fruit can aid in weight loss for individuals with hypothyroidism. Its high fiber content and ability to reduce insulin resistance contribute to healthy weight management.
Dragon fruit is generally safe to consume and does not have known interactions with thyroid medications. However, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns or specific medication-related questions.
Yes, Dragon fruit can be beneficial for individuals with thyroid disorders. It contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, and C, which support thyroid function and overall health.